14 February 2013

Susan Cain in Boston (or more correctly, in Cambridge)

About a week ago I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to take half an hour and attend part of an author event at the Harvard Book Store. Susan Cain came and did a Q&A and book signing. Of course, she came to a bookstore two blocks from where I work, while I was working. But I managed to convince the library to give me an hour off in the middle of my shift, and so I went for the first 40 minutes or so of her talk. It was a good talk. Most of what she talked about came from her book and so very little was brand new information for me, but it was still really neat to get to see Susan Cain in person. The bookstore was packed, standing room only, and so I didn't have a very good view, but I did get one fuzzy cell phone picture of her.

After I got off work later I hurried back to the bookstore  to see if maybe she was still there (I had a couple books I wanted to get signed). She was definitely still there, but was in the middle of giving an interview. I skulked around in the stacks for a few minutes trying to figure out my next step. Did I wait till her interview was done and then see if she'd sign my books? Or did I interrupt her? Or did I just go home? I figured that interrupting her was out of the question since that's pretty rude. And in the end I decided that I didn't want to be that crazy fan who hangs around a bookstore waiting who knows how long to see if Susan Cain would maybe sign my books. So I went home. And I feel good about that decision. Sure my copy of Quiet is unsigned, but I feel good knowing that I'm not a creeper.

No comments: