13 February 2013

Happy Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the Lent. Last year, I thought it would be a fun and interesting experiment to participate in Lent and I decided to give up meat. I know, crazy huh? I figured it wouldn't be that difficult because I don't eat a ton of meat anyways, and financially I wasn't in a position to be able to really buy much meat--so I figured it would be an easy thing to give up for my first Lent. It turned out to be much more difficult than I expected and I wasn't perfect at it. Turns out there are a number of meat things that I do enjoy quite regularly that I hadn't been aware of. But I do think that overall it was a good experience. I learned a lot more about the kinds of foods that I eat and where I eat them.

Since my experiment went well last year I decided that this year I would give up something for Lent again. This time around I've decided to give up Facebook. You may remember when I took a holiday from Facebook back in August. It was pretty awesome. And lately I've been noticing myself slip back into old habits, so I think another Facebook fast will be good for me.

I think I'm also going to use the Lenten season as a way to make some other goals too. At this point in the month making a "month long" goal is becoming questionable, but with Lent being about six weeks long that's a pretty reasonable time frame to work with. I noticed in re-reading the two posts I linked to above that some of the things that I was having trouble finding a home for when I first moved to my new apartment in September still don't have a home and so that is one of my goals--find homes for those leftover things. I also have a stack of magazines on my floor that I need to take care of. .

So to recap. My goals for Lent this year include:
1. Being Facebook-free for all of Lent.
2. Finding homes for homeless items in my room.
3. Taking care of the stack of magazines in my room (which is sort of a subset of #2). 

No comments: