06 February 2008

Oh Oxford!

Oxford is amazing! I can't wait till I can go again. They have these amazing botanical gardens, that were pretty even now in the midst of winter and I can only imagine how beautiful they will be come spring. The colleges are truly a remarkable place and it was delightful to romp around in Merton College this afternoon. I think though that one of my favorite places was Blackwell's Bookshop. One of the rooms, the Norrington room is the biggest single room of books for sale in the whole world. It has the best collection of Penguin books I have ever seen. They even had TWO whole copies of the Penguin Classic of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall That is singularly impressive.
One of the other things I particularly enjoyed was climbing to the top of the tower of the Collegiate Church of St. Mary's and looking out over the whole of Oxford. It was absolutly worth the two pounds I paid. It was so incredible. Seeing The Eagle and Child was a lot of fun too. That is the pub where the Inklings used to meet. It was a wonderful little place, next time I go I think I'll eat there for lunch.

No comments: