18 May 2012

Bicycles

So, it's been what two, three weeks since I've started posting most days? And today I find myself floundering a little bit on knowing what to write about. Nothing of note has happened lately, other than my going to work, and things like that.

Lately, I've been wanting a bike. I've decided that bike's are the most efficient way to get around Boston. Somewhere that takes an hour to get to on the train is only about a half hour bike ride away. Plus, riding a bike is free exercise (free in the sense that it doesn't feel like exercising because I'm riding to somewhere, and in the sense that I don't have to make a special effort to get that exercise). And it's environmentally friendly. And it's summer: good biking weather. Of course, the problem is that in order to have all these benefits of riding a bike you have to have a bike. This is where I struggle. I'm in the process of learning about bikes, and trying to find a decent cheap one, but it remains to be seen whether I get to have a bike or not (they're just so expensive, even used). I'm hoping to have time this afternoon to check out another shop who may have something for me. We'll see.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

what about your adorable Beach Bike? Did you have to leave that here?

Candice Bellows said...

One thing to keep in mind about used bikes: they may not be in the greatest condition. When I bought my bike, I went with new because I didn't want to find out at the top of a hill that the brakes didn't work!

Emily said...

Jen, my beach cruiser is currently in my parents garage. When I moved back east I didn't have a way to take it with me. So for the time being that's where it is (though the idea of shipping out here has been tossed around).

Candice, that is definitely a concern I have about used bikes, but they are just so much cheaper. I'm just going to have to be extra vigilant when I test ride them to make sure they really work. What kind of bike do you have? How do you like it?