14 May 2012

The Moors

So for those of you who follow Sherlock on Masterpiece Mysteries this week's episode was "The Hound of the Baskervilles." I was really impressed; they always do such an amazing job creating a modern tale out of these old detective stories. While I read The Hound of the Baskervilles not that many months ago, I seemed to have conveniently forgotten that it takes place in Dartmoor, Devon. Oh, Devon! Of course I was jolted back to remembrance when Benedict Cumberbatch stands on top this outcropping of rock:

Dartmoor National Park!
looking at this view:
Oh, the moors!
Remember when we went to the West Country? Remember how awesome it was? And how much you fell in love with Devon and Cornwall? Widecombe in the Moor? I absolutely love the way the UK allows whole towns and villages to be completely inside national parks (another good example is Betwys y Coed--inside Snowdonia National Park in Wales). I feel like that would never happen in the States. Sitting cross-legged on the floor in front of my television (in traditional 5 year-old style) watching Sherlock only reminded me of how much I miss England, and how much I love the West Country.


4 comments:

Jen said...

YES! We watched it when it aired on BBC a few months ago, and I thought the same thing---I'VE BEEN THERE!

how are you, anyway?

Emily said...

Wait a second. How do you get BBC to let you watch videos? I've only ever been able to get their radio player to work.

I'm pretty good. Just enjoying living in Boston, but wishing it were London because it reminds me of it so much sometimes.

Unknown said...

we were able to get a UK IP address for the month. :) Derek knows the website...I could email it to you if you're interested.

Emily said...

You should totally email it to me. I would definitely be interested.