28 May 2012

Happy Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day everyone. I've decided that Boston is a fantastic place to be around the various patriotic holidays. I feel like here in Boston these holidays are more than just an excuse to get out the barbecue and have a party (not that we don't do that), but I feel like here it is also a day to do things like remember the people who have fought and died to protect our freedoms and our country.

33,000 flags to remember each and every soldier from
Massachusetts who has died in action since the Civil War.
On Saturday I went and took a walk through Boston Common and through the Public Garden. The office that one of my roommates works for helps to plant flags every Memorial Day to remember each soldier from Massachusetts that has died serving their country. This year they planted 33,000 flags for soldiers going all the way back to the Civil War. It is really cool to see. It's like a sea of flags. It is amazing to me how many people have died to give me the opportunities that I enjoy today. And I am grateful for their sacrifice.
Boston Common and part of the skyline.
I hope that you all had a lovely Memorial Day and that you did something to commemorate the people who gave their lives for your freedom.




No comments: