05 June 2012

Documentaries

Every once in a while, when people ask me what kinds of movies I like or something I've watched recently, I get a little embarrassed and admit that I just watched this awesome documentary (or something else equally nerdy). I never would have pegged myself as someone who watches documentaries. They're really not anywhere near as boring as they sound. In fact usually, when just talking about the kinds of movies I like I'd have to go with foreign films, or Brit-coms, or something. Though I suppose that those are also rather nerdy genres to like.

So I was catching up on my google reader. Why is it that I'm always catching up on it? I really do try to read every day... But anyways, I was reading a post from a preservation blog that I sort of follow and the gal who writes it was talking about an art exhibit she went to recently, and about an installation by Werner Herzog that she particularly liked.The name Werner Herzog was familiar to me so I clicked on the link the gal provided and looked through the list of his films to see which ones I'd seen. Encounters at the End of the World sounded familiar so I looked at it. It's definitely a documentary about Antarctica. That I've seen. And that I feel like was pretty good. And then further down in the list was Nosferatu, which I definitely remember playing one week at the IC, but I don't actually think I ever saw it. Maybe someday I will (or maybe not...).

On a rather different note. You probably recall the last documentary that I posted about 1900 House. Well this week, I've been working on watching Antarctic Mission. It is a delightful documentary about one of my favorite topics: Antarctica. (Who knew there were so many documentaries about Antarctica?) It's been a good one. It focused mostly on the affects of climate change on the the ecosystems in the Southern Ocean and also the effects that the Southern Ocean have on the rest of the world. It is amazing how much on an impact global warming has on remote places like Antarctica. And I think that it is a topic that deserves more research and attention paid to it. I would hate for us to lose such an important part of our world, or such a beautiful one.
Mt. Herschel, Antarctica (from wikimedia commons)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

This reminded me of our conversation the other day. Be loud and proud about those documentaries, girl!