12 June 2012

Materialism

A couple of years ago a friend sent me a link to this blog post. Every once in a while when I feel like my life is getting cluttered I reread it and feel like there is hope. Now I only have to learn to put her principles into practice. The author lists five principles to taming materialism:

1.Test the meaning of money by doing stuff that's scary.
2. Put a bunch of stuff in storage to see what it's like.
3. Understand the concept of aspirational clutter. Get reality and throw stuff out.
4. Know this: You could dump everything if you had to.
5. Throwing stuff out is not wasteful.

I love number 3. There are so many things in my life that I have because I aspire to be a particular kind of person. The part about getting reality and throwing stuff out I'm definitely still working on. But someday I hope to be there. I definitely still have a long way to go before I've really tamed my materialism, but I hope to live a junk free life one day soon.

Maybe this weekend when I'm ready to throw my homework out the window I'll clean my room instead...

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I feel like I'm CONSTANTLY dejunking. I'd like to think that I'm not a packrat, but there's always more stuff to get rid of. If can live out of a regular sized backpack for multi-week vacations, why do I need so much stuff in my regular life?!

Emily said...

That is exactly how I feel. I've lived out of a smallish suitcase for several months at a time before. And yet I own more stuff than fits in my car. There's something wrong with this picture.