23 July 2012

New Yankee Workshop

Today in class we worked with wood. Our Gothic model has wooden boards and so we worked on shaping them--making them fit into the shoulder of our text block, and also shaping the head, tail, and fore-edge in some traditional manner. I have virtually no woodworking experience (sometimes I envy the cub scouts that get to learn things like how to work with wood...) and so it took me most of the day to shape just one side of each of my two boards. It turns out that while I know enough about woodworking to know what dovetail joints, rabbets, and dados are, I apparently don't know enough to deftly use a rasp or a plane. While all my years of watching The New Yankee Workshop have taught me that: "there is no more important safety rule than to wear these--safety glasses", I guess it takes more than watching to actually be good at woodworking.

No comments: